We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
It is not surprising that royal geraniums are prized by mistresses all over the world. It is not demanding to care for, it multiplies easily and, finally, blooms unusually.
Despite all the positive qualities, this species, like many other indoor plants, with improper care, can lose its appearance.
The first signs of poor health of geraniums are stains and yellowing of the foliage. More on this in this article.
What is the reason for the color change?
Around the edges
The changed color of the edging of the foliage in the lower part of the crown is a characteristic sign of plant malaise and, if you do not pay proper attention to this condition, the pet may die. The foliage can turn yellow both below and at the top of the crown. Each ailment is characterized by various deficiencies associated with care.
The appearance of spots on sheet plates
When examining, you need to pay attention to the flower as a whole, since if, along with yellow spots, general wilting is observed, the cause of the disease lies much deeper and requires careful study. The spots look like a depressed point, which later extends to the entire sheet.
The photo shows what a diseased plant looks like.
Why did the houseplant get sick?
Let's look at several reasons that can lead to plant disease. The first, and perhaps the most common, is improper watering. Royal geranium, although not whimsical, is very demanding for this care.
- Improper watering... If the water balance is not observed, the plant appears yellow streaks along the edges of the leaf in the lower part of the crown, and in some cases they cover it completely. This state indicates that pelargonium is low in moisture - the number of waterings should be increased.
- Lack of drainage... The appearance of brown spots indicates an excess of moisture or lack of drainage. If you are not sure about the quality of the drainage system, it is worth replanting the plant as required.
- Little space... If the plant has little space in the flowerpot, it must be transplanted, regardless of the season. Despite the fact that the transplantation for this plant is favorable in spring, it should not be delayed with it, since this will adversely affect not only the geranium inflorescence, but also the crown.
- Improper winter care... As you know, pelargonium is unpretentious in care, but if you do not follow the rules for location, moisture, preservation of winter dormancy, the plant will cease to bloom and please the eye. Its crown will gradually fade and eventually the plant will die.
- Verticillary wilting... This is a disease characterized by gradual yellowing followed by wilting of the lower part of the crown. The affected leaves turn black and wither over time. The plant does not bloom.
What to do for the healing of plants and the rules for their treatment
What measures should be taken?
- Yellow geranium leaves not only indicate a lack of moisture. Such signs are characteristic with an excess of nitrogen. And if you are a novice plant breeder know that royal geranium does not need organic fertilizers. For her, the quality of the soil is important and the constant, once a year, replacement of the top layer of the earth with a new one.
- When the first signs of a disease appear that are not associated with improper care, it is necessary to process both the plant and the soil. It is better to use combined broad-spectrum disinfectants.
- Yellow geranium leaves not only indicate a lack of moisture. Such signs are characteristic with an excess of nitrogen.
If you are a novice breeder know that king geranium does not need organic fertilizers. For her, the quality of the soil and the constant, once a year, replacement of the top layer of the earth with a new one are important.
How to organize watering and maintenance?
Subtleties of care:
- Water for pelargonium should be used at room temperature. The multiplicity of moistening should correspond to the condition of the soil, it must not be allowed to dry out, waterlogging. Boiled, cooled water in these cases will help to restore the plant in the shortest possible time.
- Expanded clay of various shapes and sizes can be used as drainage. This is to avoid contamination. A larger stone is laid on the lower level, then a smaller one, and only then you can land. Subject to these recommendations, the drainage system will cope with the task.
- The plant is sick not only due to improper watering, untimely feeding, but also because geranium is not satisfied with the location in relation to the side of the world. Geranium's favorite place is the balcony in the eastern part, where there is no access to direct sunlight. She loves diffused light, moderate air humidification and replanting in the spring. The new flowerpot should be slightly larger than the previous one.
- If the plant has lost its natural beauty after transplanting, do not be alarmed, as it is going through the stage of acclimatization. It is no secret that Pelargonium is scrupulous in these matters and does not like frequent transplants, not related to the growth of the root system.
Royal geranium (pelargonium) is a responsive flower, if you follow all the recommendations, it will fully thank its owner for the care and attention. She will delight the eye with her extraordinary inflorescences and the splendor of her crown.